SOUTHERN GAL ...

Speaking her mind with attitude and spunk

A southern gal chose to share a part of herself with you. Even though she tells it like it is, many blog posts are used for her to get in touch with her own innerself. She hopes during her journey that her posts will help others. Her views on politics are just that "her" views and she is open to read the comments and views of others regarding the topics discussed here as long as they are dignified and appropriate. Any comments deemed inappropriate will be immediately deleted.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Peace with a Loss over the Holiday

I was thinking a lot today about families who've lost loved ones this past year. It is very tough to get through the first major holiday without your loved one. My brother who died in 98 was a mortician and I remember that their funeral home had a policy that they didn't put holiday greetings out in the public areas because it didn't seem proper to make such happy greetings to families which were grieving. With this thought, I realize that it is hard to know how to react to friends during these times when they've lost someone close. We want to wish them a happy holiday season but by the same token, we know that just the fact that it is the holiday season makes their loss all the more painful. I know that most people try to get through the holidays as best they can, especially if they have small children but my heart really aches for them. It must even be worse when there is a loss right before Christmas. My father suddenly died on December 2nd. That was so hard on the family. My heart goes out to those who are grieving over a loss and I hope that the holiday season somehow can bring them peace.