SOUTHERN GAL ...

Speaking her mind with attitude and spunk

A southern gal chose to share a part of herself with you. Even though she tells it like it is, many blog posts are used for her to get in touch with her own innerself. She hopes during her journey that her posts will help others. Her views on politics are just that "her" views and she is open to read the comments and views of others regarding the topics discussed here as long as they are dignified and appropriate. Any comments deemed inappropriate will be immediately deleted.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Do you always vote?

I became politically motivated back during the Jimmy Carter vs. Gerald Ford campaign. I was too young to vote then but it really interested me. I watched every minute of television coverage regarding the campaigns, conventions and the election. From then on I had a keen interest in politics and as soon as I was old enough to vote I couldn't wait to send in that registration.

I never had any interest in being personally involved in politics it was more of a deep rooted sense that in order to bring this world to a place where we can live in peace we must make correct decisions about who we put into power. I believe that we should view it as our duty to vote. I feel that I have no right to complain about how things are run in this country if I'm not committed enough to stand up for my belief and vote my conscience. Our vote counts and when we allow our voices to be heard through our vote and each individual vote is collected and grouped together we can send a message to the government that will definitely be heard.

Sadly in recent years I've seen it become more of a popularity contest rather than about the issues important to our way of life. You'll hear media coverage about the way the candidates dress, speak, walk, etc. Sure you can get to know something about a person by observing their demeanor and actions but this shouldn't be the "know all and end all" in our decision making process. I've heard people comment that they aren't voting for a candidate because they seem dry when giving a speech. SOooooooooo what is up with that? What in the world does that have to do with the issues that are important? In my view, that is a shallow way to decide who you are going to vote into public office.

People better wake up and begin focusing on the issues that matter and vote for the candidate that is truly focusing on those issues. This is about who has the peoples best interest at heart and has the experience and gumption to follow their heart and fight for us. If we begin to focus on the issues and choose our candidates according to that focus then it will force the candidates and the media to realign their campaigns in that direction. The political world is absurd at times and very out of control but we as the voters can force them to get back inline with what is best for this country. Another thing I really stay away from is being committed to only voting for a candidate of one political party. I vote for the candidate not for the political party of which they are affiliated. No matter the affiliation if the candidate makes me feel that they are the best candidate for the job then they get my vote.